Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta mentioned there may be extra to come back from “incredible” Thomas Partey after the midfielder’s very good full debut within the 2-1 Europa League win at Fast Vienna.
David Luiz and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang scored two targets in 5 second-half minutes after a Bernd Leno mistake had gifted Taxiarchis Fountas the opener to make sure the Gunners started Group B with a victory.
However it was the efficiency of £45m deadline day signing Partey that stood out. The previous Atletico Madrid participant was a relaxed presence in midfield, breaking down assaults and constructing play with apparently easy ease.
It was solely Partey’s second look in an Arsenal shirt after a late cameo within the 1-0 defeat by Manchester Metropolis within the Premier League on the weekend, and Arteta is worked up by what’s to come back from the Ghana worldwide.
“I believe he held the midfield by himself within the second half after we have been somewhat bit extra open,” mentioned the Arsenal boss. “He began to take extra probabilities attacking sure areas with some gamers.
“I believe he was incredible and there may be rather more to come back from him.”
‘The most effective debut ever’ – pundits reward Partey
For a very long time on this sport, the efficiency of Partey was the one spotlight.
The midfielder oozed class, breaking apart play with well-timed tackles, getting the ball ahead with calm and correct passes and being alert to any hazard posed by the hosts.
Partey made a very essential intervention within the first half when he prodded the ball from below the ft of Fountas because the Fast Vienna ahead was about to shoot.
BT Sport pundit and former Manchester United and England midfielder Owen Hargreaves described it as “top-of-the-line debuts I’ve ever seen”.
“He’s a key ingredient of what Arsenal have been lacking for years,” former England and Chelsea winger Karen Carney, commentating on the sport for BT Sport, added.
“He has a knack of breaking apart play and maintaining the momentum going. He’s pure class. He’s versatile and tactically astute, provides extra steadiness and is technically superb.
“He’s sensible and Arsenal followers will likely be overjoyed to see him on this group.”
Leno errors a priority for Gunners
After a decent first half by which probabilities have been few and much between, the hosts took the lead after a giant error by Leno. The goalkeeper’s tried move was intercepted by Fountas, who then fired dwelling from a decent angle.
One other error by Leno virtually gifted the Austrians a second when he hit a clearance straight at Fountas, however he was in a position to get better and parry the striker’s effort.
Arsenal lacked high quality within the last third as they struggled to open up the hosts however discovered their chunk when Aubameyang got here off the bench.
Luiz put Arsenal degree when he headed in Nicolas Pepe’s free-kick and Aubameyang secured the win when he tapped in from Hector Bellerin’s wonderful help.
Leno nonetheless regarded nervous coping with passes again to him and one other poor clearance hit Luiz and deflected to Fountas, however this time Fast Vienna’s prime scorer couldn’t capitalise.
However regardless of these errors, Arteta just isn’t contemplating giving up on enjoying out from the again.
He added: “In a cut up second it’s a must to decide, it’s a must to make the fitting contact and the fitting move. The opponents as properly are intuitive and they’re ready for that.
“It is one thing we’ve to maintain engaged on as a result of we need to play the best way I need to. It is necessary that I maintain utilizing each in our build-up play.”
Luiz oldest since Campbell – the stats
- Arsenal have gained their opening group sport in every of the previous 4 Europa League campaigns.
- This was Fast Vienna’s first dwelling defeat within the group levels of the Europa League since October 2012, ending their 13-game unbeaten run on dwelling soil within the group levels of the competitors.
- David Luiz (33 years add 183 days) made his fiftieth look for Arsenal in all competitions and have become the oldest participant to attain for the Gunners in main European competitors since Sol Campbell towards FC Porto within the Champions League again in February 2010 (35 years and 152 days).
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has scored 12 targets in 19 Europa League appearances for Arsenal.
- Hector Bellerin has supplied three assists in his final three video games for Arsenal, greater than he had in his earlier 38 matches for the Gunners (two).
- Thomas Partey grew to become the primary Ghanaian to start out a aggressive sport for Arsenal since Emmanuel Frimpong of their 7-5 victory at Studying in October 2012.
Arsenal return to Premier League motion on Sunday, 25 October (19:15 BST) once they host Leicester Metropolis.
- 36AraseBooked at 60minsSubstituted forSchickat 79′minutes
- 14GrahovacBooked at 15mins
- 8RitzmaierBooked at 69minsSubstituted forKnasmüllnerat 88′minutes
- 29KaraBooked at 63minsSubstituted forKitagawaat 76′minutes
- 1LenoBooked at 90mins
- 17Cédric SoaresSubstituted forBellerínat 61′minutes
- 23David Luiz
- 6dos Santos Magalhães
- 18ParteyBooked at 34mins
- 7SakaSubstituted forTierneyat 84′minutes
- 19PépéSubstituted forNelsonat 90+4′minutes
- 9LacazetteBooked at 27minsSubstituted forWillockat 84′minutes
- 30NketiahBooked at 37minsSubstituted forAubameyangat 61′minutes
Stay Textual content
Match ends, SK Fast Wien 1, Arsenal 2.
Second Half ends, SK Fast Wien 1, Arsenal 2.
Substitution, Arsenal. Reiss Nelson replaces Nicolas Pépé.
Offside, SK Fast Wien. Filip Stojkovic tries a by ball, however Thorsten Schick is caught offside.
Try missed. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Arsenal) left footed shot from a tough angle on the left misses to the left. Assisted by Nicolas Pépé with a cross.
Bernd Leno (Arsenal) is proven the yellow card.
Sead Kolasinac (Arsenal) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Thorsten Schick (SK Fast Wien).
Substitution, SK Fast Wien. Christoph Knasmüllner replaces Marcel Ritzmaier.
Foul by Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Arsenal).
Maximilian Hofmann (SK Fast Wien) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Try blocked. David Luiz (Arsenal) proper footed shot from the centre of the field is blocked. Assisted by Nicolas Pépé with a cross.
Nook, Arsenal. Conceded by Maximilian Hofmann.
Substitution, Arsenal. Joseph Willock replaces Alexandre Lacazette.
Substitution, Arsenal. Kieran Tierney replaces Bukayo Saka.
David Luiz (Arsenal) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Marcel Ritzmaier (SK Fast Wien).
Try blocked. Marcel Ritzmaier (SK Fast Wien) left footed shot from the left aspect of the field is blocked.
Try missed. Nicolas Pépé (Arsenal) left footed shot from outdoors the field is excessive and huge to the left.
Sead Kolasinac (Arsenal) wins a free kick on the left wing.