Ross Barkley drilled in an injury-time strike to keep up Aston Villa’s 100% begin to the season as they edged to victory at Leicester.
The sport seemed set to be the primary goalless match of the marketing campaign, however on-loan Chelsea midfielder Barkley completed incisively into the underside nook to provide Villa all three factors and ship them second within the Premier League.
Villa have received their opening 4 top-flight video games for the primary time in 90 years.
It had been a colorless Sunday evening encounter till Barkley’s 91st-minute effort, with neither goalkeeper known as on to make troublesome saves.
Douglas Luiz had curled a 25-yard shot straight at Leicester’s Kasper Schmeichel, whereas Villa’s Emiliano Martinez saved out Youri Tielemans’ deflected long-range strike.
Dean Smith’s Villa are only one level behind leaders Everton with a recreation in hand, whereas Leicester stay fourth.
The fixture was a poignant one, as final season’s equal again in March was the ultimate recreation staged with followers earlier than the coronavirus-enforced suspension to the season.
Since then followers haven’t been allowed into stadia – however had a crowd been in attendance, many might have been pondering of an early exit as the competition seemed to be drifting in direction of a bore draw earlier than Barkley’s late intervention.
Villa narrowly prevented relegation final season however have began this marketing campaign in magnificent vogue, backing up their 7-2 dismantling of champions Liverpool final trip with a slender victory on this event.
They’ve received 4 Premier League video games in a row for the primary time since 2009, stretching their unbeaten run within the competitors to eight video games.
The signing of Chelsea’s Barkley on a season-long mortgage got here as a shock, but it surely appears to be an impressed acquisition by Smith because the England worldwide has already contributed three objectives in 5 video games.
The aim was an outstanding strike from the previous Everton participant, striding ahead because the Leicester defence backed off earlier than firing a crisp, low drive previous the attain of Schmeichel.
Villa created little or no earlier than then, Mahmoud Trezeguet’s first-time shot crusing narrowly vast, whereas substitute Bertrand Traore’s header was smothered by the Leicester goalkeeper.
Foxes fail to fireside
Leicester had been within the high 4 for a lot of final season earlier than falling away after the restart, they usually started this time period with three straight victories.
However they’ve since faltered, shedding back-to-back video games, and infrequently seemed like discovering the online towards Villa.
With out the injured Jamie Vardy to name upon up entrance, Leicester struggled to carve out significant probabilities and Belgium full-back Timothy Castagne and Nigeria ahead Kelechi Iheanacho each noticed their efforts comfortably saved by Martinez.
Even the introduction of the rarely-sighted Algerian Islam Slimani, making his first Foxes look since January 2018 following mortgage spells away, couldn’t spark any attacking impetus for Brendan Rodgers’ facet.
Leicester are in Europa League motion on Thursday towards Zorya Luhansk (kick-off 20:00 BST), whereas Villa look to keep up their spectacular Premier League begin once they host Leeds subsequent Friday (20:00).
Villa hold it clear – the stats
- Aston Villa have received their opening 4 video games of a league season for the primary time for the reason that 1930-31 marketing campaign, once they went on to complete second within the high flight.
- Leicester have suffered consecutive Premier League house defeats with out scoring for the primary time since February 2017.
- Aston Villa are unbeaten of their final eight Premier League video games (W6 D2); their longest run with out defeat within the competitors since October 2011 (10 video games).
- Leicester supervisor Brendan Rodgers suffered his first defeat towards Aston Villa within the Premier League since September 2014 (1-0 answerable for Liverpool), having received every of his earlier 4 conferences with them since then.
- Aston Villa have saved a clear sheet in each of their two away video games within the Premier League this time period, after preserving none in 19 away video games within the competitors final season.
- Ross Barkley has scored in every of his two Premier League appearances for Aston Villa (2 objectives), as many as he managed in his final 42 for Chelsea earlier than shifting to Villa Park.
- Because the begin of final season, Aston Villa’s Jack Grealish has received 182 fouls within the Premier League (together with 5 tonight) – essentially the most of any participant within the competitors.
- 27CastagneBooked at 73mins
- 6EvansBooked at 74mins
- 24MendySubstituted forChoudhuryat 78′minutes
- 17PérezBooked at 31mins
- 8TielemansBooked at 41mins
- 26PraetSubstituted forMaddisonat 68′minutes
- 14IheanachoSubstituted forSlimaniat 71′minutes
- 2MoneyBooked at 40mins
- 6Douglas LuizBooked at 70mins
- 7McGinnBooked at 32mins
- 17TrézéguetSubstituted forTraoréat 81′minutes
- 21El Ghazi
- 27El Mohamady
Dwell Textual content
Match ends, Leicester Metropolis 0, Aston Villa 1.
Second Half ends, Leicester Metropolis 0, Aston Villa 1.
Ezri Konsa Ngoyo (Aston Villa) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by James Maddison (Leicester Metropolis).
Foul by Ross Barkley (Aston Villa).
Wesley Fofana (Leicester Metropolis) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Aim! Leicester Metropolis 0, Aston Villa 1. Ross Barkley (Aston Villa) proper footed shot from outdoors the field to the underside left nook. Assisted by John McGinn.
Try saved. Bertrand Traoré (Aston Villa) header from the centre of the field is saved within the high centre of the aim. Assisted by John McGinn with a cross.
Offside, Aston Villa. John McGinn tries a by ball, however Ollie Watkins is caught offside.
Try blocked. Ross Barkley (Aston Villa) proper footed shot from the centre of the field is blocked. Assisted by Jack Grealish.
Try missed. Matt Targett (Aston Villa) left footed shot from outdoors the field misses to the suitable following a nook.
Nook, Aston Villa. Conceded by Kasper Schmeichel.
Offside, Aston Villa. Emiliano Martínez tries a by ball, however Ollie Watkins is caught offside.
Try blocked. Harvey Barnes (Leicester Metropolis) proper footed shot from the left facet of the field is blocked. Assisted by James Justin.
Substitution, Aston Villa. Bertrand Traoré replaces Trézéguet.
Try missed. Islam Slimani (Leicester Metropolis) header from the centre of the field is shut, however misses the highest proper nook. Assisted by Ayoze Pérez with a cross.
Try blocked. Ayoze Pérez (Leicester Metropolis) left footed shot from the suitable facet of the field is blocked. Assisted by James Maddison.
James Maddison (Leicester Metropolis) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Foul by Douglas Luiz (Aston Villa).
Substitution, Leicester Metropolis. Hamza Choudhury replaces Nampalys Mendy.