England internationals James Maddison and Harvey Barnes scored their first European targets as Leicester marked their return to continental motion with a cushty dwelling win.
The Foxes had regarded set to safe Champions League soccer for almost all of final season however set about their job within the second-tier competitors with zest after a sticky begin.
Ukrainian guests Zorya had their moments within the opening levels and Kasper Schmeichel was referred to as into severe motion with the rating at 0-0.
However even with out the injured Jamie Vardy, Brendan Rodgers’ aspect finally had an excessive amount of.
Barnes, the standout performer on the night time, curled a shot in opposition to the publish and when Kelechi Iheanacho flicked the free ball out, Maddison had a easy end.
Barnes then ran by means of the center of the Zorya defence to clip in a second and Iheanacho took benefit of a defensive lapse to attain the third.
The match was additionally notable as Stephanie Frappart – who turned the primary feminine referee to officiate a serious males’s European match when she took cost of final yr’s Uefa Tremendous Cup – made an immaculate Europa League debut.
Barnes provides innovative
With Vardy within the stands due to a calf harm, there was concern over the place the Leicester objective menace could come from.
However, with alternative Iheanacho tending to drop deeper and become involved in some nice link-up play, it was the tempo of Barnes operating in behind who stretched the sport.
A continuing menace all through, Barnes ended the night time with 5 pictures on objective and created two possibilities, whereas his particular person objective was sublimely taken.
On the different finish, Schmeichel was considered one of simply two starters who performed in Leicester’s final sport in Europe – the Champions League quarter-final of 2017 – and his early save from Vladyslav Kabaev was key.
Barnes and Maddison then took cost of the sport as Leicester confirmed sufficient to counsel they might go deep on this marathon competitors.
‘We will be higher’
Leicester supervisor Brendan Rodgers on BT Sport: “It was an excellent win, it is good to get the factors on the board and a clear sheet. We needed to work onerous, there’s areas the place we will get higher.
“They play a diamond and it is a system the place they’ll harm you on the within. Once they had the ball they had been a menace however we killed the sport within the second half.
“The gamers deserve an enormous quantity of credit score. They are often higher, we’d like extra motion on the prime finish of the pitch as a result of we may have gotten in additional.”
Maiden win for Foxes – the stats
- Leicester have picked up their first victory within the Uefa Cup/Europa League on the fifth try (D1 L3).
- English sides stay unbeaten in opposition to Ukrainian groups on dwelling soil in European competitors (P33 W26 D7).
- James Maddison has scored twice in his final three appearances in all competitions, as many as in his earlier 25 video games for Leicester Metropolis.
- Leicester’s Kelechi Iheanacho turned the primary Nigerian to help two targets in a single Europa League sport.
- Leicester’s Jonny Evans made his first look in main European competitors since December 2013, for Manchester United in opposition to Shakhtar Donetsk within the Champions League.
- 27CastagneSubstituted forJustinat 82′minutes
- 6EvansSubstituted forMorganat 82′minutes
- 8TielemansBooked at 12minsSubstituted forChoudhuryat 71′minutes
- 10MaddisonSubstituted forÜnderat 65′minutes
- 14IheanachoSubstituted forPérezat 71′minutes
- 45FavorovSubstituted forRufatiat 76′minutes
- 15VernydubBooked at 77mins
- 10KhomchenovskyiSubstituted forCiganiksat 76′minutes
- 7KocherginSubstituted forGrynat 85′minutes
- 22KabaevBooked at 26minsSubstituted forPerovicat 64′minutes
- 8LunevSubstituted forGladkiyat 65′minutes
- 20Abu Hanna
- Stéphanie Frappart
Stay Textual content
Match ends, Leicester Metropolis 3, Zorya Luhansk 0.
Second Half ends, Leicester Metropolis 3, Zorya Luhansk 0.
Try missed. Cengiz Ünder (Leicester Metropolis) left footed shot from exterior the field is simply too excessive from a direct free kick.
Foul by Dmytro Ivanisenya (Zorya Luhansk).
Nampalys Mendy (Leicester Metropolis) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Foul by Yehor Nazaryna (Zorya Luhansk).
James Justin (Leicester Metropolis) wins a free kick on the fitting wing.
Foul by Mihailo Perovic (Zorya Luhansk).
Wesley Fofana (Leicester Metropolis) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Yehor Nazaryna (Zorya Luhansk) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Hamza Choudhury (Leicester Metropolis).
Substitution, Zorya Luhansk. Sergiy Gryn replaces Vladyslav Kochergin.
Nook, Zorya Luhansk. Conceded by Wesley Fofana.
Try blocked. Vladlen Yurchenko (Zorya Luhansk) proper footed shot from exterior the field is blocked. Assisted by Mihailo Perovic.
Substitution, Leicester Metropolis. James Justin replaces Timothy Castagne.
Substitution, Leicester Metropolis. Wes Morgan replaces Jonny Evans.
Foul by Mihailo Perovic (Zorya Luhansk).
Timothy Castagne (Leicester Metropolis) wins a free kick on the fitting wing.
Vitalii Vernydub (Zorya Luhansk) is proven the yellow card for a nasty foul.
Foul by Vitalii Vernydub (Zorya Luhansk).