Curtis Jones scored his first Champions League aim after a horrific goalkeeping mistake as Liverpool beat Ajax to win Group D and safe a spot within the final 16.
Andre Onana misjudged the flight of Neco Williams’ cross and 19-year-old midfielder Jones took benefit to attain with the surface of his proper foot.
Caoimhin Kelleher, deputising for first-choice keeper Alisson who was lacking with a hamstring harm, additionally performed his half in Liverpool’s win, an incredible cease to disclaim substitute Klaas-Jan Huntelaar the decide of his saves.
Former Everton midfielder Davy Klaassen wasted an incredible probability for the guests and David Neres hit the woodwork.
Jones additionally rattled a put up earlier than his aim ensured Liverpool, with one recreation to spare, joined Premier League rivals Manchester Metropolis and Chelsea within the knockout stage.
Kelleher impresses in Alisson’s absence
A shock house defeat by Atalanta final week had threatened Liverpool’s dominance in Group D, with the Italians and Ajax closing in.
However Jurgen Klopp’s aspect overcame their newest worrying harm setback to progress after an open and entertaining recreation at Anfield.
It was removed from easy for the Reds, Klaassen heading large for Ajax when he ought to have scored, whereas Neres was denied by the woodwork after Kelleher had achieved effectively to push away an try by younger Brazilian ahead Antony.
The 22-year-old’s cease to disclaim Huntelaar, having earlier produced a one-handed save to maintain out Noussair Mazraoui, was distinctive and on the closing whistle Klopp went straight to the Republic of Eire squad member to congratulate him on his efficiency.
With Atalanta held in Denmark by Midtjylland, Liverpool are 4 factors clear with one recreation to go and uncatchable on the prime.
Having already secured the group, Klopp will be capable to relaxation gamers when the Reds face Midtjylland in Denmark within the closing spherical of video games on 9 December.
Extra harm woe for the Reds
On an evening when captain Jordan Henderson made his first membership begin since 8 November after harm, Liverpool revealed their first-choice keeper had develop into the most recent participant to affix the listing of casualties.
Their marketing campaign has been suffering from harm setbacks and Alisson’s hamstring drawback, which is prone to rule him out of Sunday’s league recreation with Wolves and subsequent week’s European recreation, means the Reds at the moment are with out 9 senior gamers with matches coming thick and quick.
Midfielder Naby Keita (thigh) and right-back Trent Alexander-Arnold (calf) are near returning.
However Virgil van Dijk (knee) is out for a protracted interval whereas there aren’t any return dates for Joe Gomez (knee), Xherdan Shaqiri, James Milner (thigh), Thiago Alcantara (knee) and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (knee).
Klopp’s determination to go for Kelleher in Alisson’s absence raises questions on the way forward for Spanish keeper Adrian, who has typically stuffed in when the Brazilian has been lacking.
The veteran of greater than 200 aggressive appearances for Actual Betis, West Ham and Liverpool watched from the bench as Kelleher supplied a chilled presence in Alisson’s absence.
Teenage skills – the very best of the stats
- Liverpool’s aim was the primary time in Champions League historical past one teenager, Neco Williams (19 years and 232 days), assisted one other, Curtis Jones (19 years and 306 days), for a Premier League aspect.
- Curtis Jones (19 years and 306 days) is the third teenager to attain for Liverpool within the Champions League after David N’Gog in 2008 (19 years and 252 days v PSV Eindhoven) and Trent Alexander-Arnold in 2017 (19 years and 10 days v Maribor).
- Caoimhin Kelleher is the primary Republic of Eire participant to seem within the Champions League for Liverpool since Robbie Keane in December 2008 and simply the fourth for the Reds total within the competitors (Steve Finnan and Darren Potter the others).
- Liverpool have registered 4 clear sheets of their previous 5 Champions League video games (2 targets conceded in whole) after managing only one in eight earlier than that (12 targets conceded).
- Ajax have stored only one clear sheet of their previous 9 Champions League video games after registering three shut-outs in 4 video games earlier than that.
Liverpool host Wolves within the Premier League on Sunday (19:15 GMT) earlier than heading to Denmark for their closing Group D recreation towards FC Midtjylland on 9 December (17:55).
Extra to observe.
- 76N Williams
- 14HendersonBooked at 90mins
- 5WijnaldumBooked at 70mins
- 11SalahSubstituted forR Williamsat 90′minutes
- 20JotaSubstituted forFirminoat 68′minutes
- 10ManéBooked at 90mins
- 46R Williams
- 12MazraouiSubstituted forHuntelaarat 86′minutes
- 3SchuursBooked at 42mins
- 17BlindBooked at 55minsSubstituted forMartínezat 86′minutes
- 4ÁlvarezSubstituted forLabyadat 69′minutes
- 39dos Santos
- 7Neres CamposSubstituted forTraoréat 81′minutes
Reside Textual content
Match ends, Liverpool 1, Ajax 0.
Second Half ends, Liverpool 1, Ajax 0.
Sadio Mané (Liverpool) is proven the yellow card.
Nicolás Tagliafico (Ajax) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Sadio Mané (Liverpool).
Jordan Henderson (Liverpool) is proven the yellow card for a nasty foul.
Ryan Gravenberch (Ajax) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Jordan Henderson (Liverpool).
Substitution, Liverpool. Rhys Williams replaces Mohamed Salah.
Offside, Ajax. Zakaria Labyad tries a by means of ball, however Lassina Traoré is caught offside.
Nook, Ajax. Conceded by Caoimhin Kelleher.
Try saved. Klaas Jan Huntelaar (Ajax) header from the centre of the field is saved within the prime proper nook. Assisted by Antony with a cross.
Substitution, Ajax. Lisandro Martínez replaces Daley Blind.
Substitution, Ajax. Klaas Jan Huntelaar replaces Noussair Mazraoui.
Try missed. Mohamed Salah (Liverpool) left footed shot from the best aspect of the field is excessive and large to the left. Assisted by Roberto Firmino.
Try missed. Sadio Mané (Liverpool) header from the centre of the field misses to the best. Assisted by Jordan Henderson with a cross following a nook.
Nook, Liverpool. Conceded by André Onana.
Try saved. Roberto Firmino (Liverpool) proper footed shot from the centre of the field is saved within the backside proper nook. Assisted by Mohamed Salah.
Foul by Noussair Mazraoui (Ajax).
Andrew Robertson (Liverpool) wins a free kick on the left wing.