Riyad Mahrez scored his first Manchester Metropolis hat-trick as Pep Guardiola’s facet beat Burnley 5-0 at Etihad Stadium for the fourth time in a row.
The Algerian curled two first-half efforts into the nook to ease any issues a few perceived Metropolis scoring drought.
Benjamin Mendy drove residence Kevin de Bruyne’s cross for his first Metropolis objective earlier than half-time and Ferran Torres turned residence his first Premier League objective after the break following a short interval of Burnley strain.
Mahrez steered the hosts to their largest win of the season by finishing his first treble since scoring all three for Leicester Metropolis in a victory at Swansea Metropolis in December 2015 because the Foxes marched in the direction of the title.
It may have been worse for guests Burnley – and their keeper Bailey Peacock-Farrell, who was making his Premier League debut with first-choice Nick Pope lacking due to damage.
Along with De Bruyne slamming a shot in opposition to a publish within the remaining minute, Torres and Gabriel Jesus each had targets disallowed for offside – with each having concerned main errors from the Northern Eire keeper.
“It was necessary to come back again with a victory within the Premier League,” mentioned Metropolis boss Guardiola, whose facet had misplaced 2-0 to Tottenham of their earlier league sport.
“We play quite a lot of video games so to play 90 minutes and keep stage will not be straightforward, however there are at all times issues to enhance on.
“It is necessary for our folks to attain targets and it’s a likelihood for them to maintain enjoying.”
Man Metropolis’s favorite opponents
With solely 10 targets of their opening eight Premier League video games and Sergio Aguero lacking with a knee damage, it was simply as nicely Burnley have been Metropolis’s guests on Saturday.
Guardiola’s facet have dominated a variety of opponents through the Spaniard’s time England, however the arrival of Sean Dyche’s Clarets on the Etihad is as close to a house banker as it’s attainable to get.
Metropolis have now scored 27 instances in six matches in opposition to Burnley on this floor and as soon as Mahrez had damaged the impasse there was by no means an opportunity they might be thwarted.
The guests merely couldn’t afford the sort of error that noticed central defender James Tarkowski get caught out of place near the touchline after simply six minutes, as Metropolis swept the ball throughout the pitch and Mahrez stepped inside to curve residence.
Mahrez additionally has a very liking for Burnley – he has now scored eight instances in opposition to them.
His second, one other well-struck shot that curled in on the far nook, was the primary time the Algeria winger had scored two in a sport because the corresponding fixture final season.
When left-back Mendy smashed residence an outstanding volley from De Bruyne’s cross, it was the primary time Metropolis had scored three within the first half of a sport since they hammered Liverpool in July. It was the primary time they’d scored three in any respect since their opening sport of the season.
These statistics are at odds with earlier campaigns, when Metropolis have nearly scored at will – and Burnley might be forgiven for considering not a lot has modified, particularly as soon as Torres and Mahrez had transformed their second-half efforts.
Now Metropolis’s activity is to point out they will harm totally different opposition in the identical means.
A troublesome afternoon for Clarets
This was one other chastening afternoon for Burnley, who’ve received only one sport all season and face the very actual prospect of dropping again into the underside three earlier than this spherical of fixtures is full.
Dyche will certainly be sad on the lapses in focus that led to Metropolis’s first two targets and England keeper Pope must regain his health rapidly given the troubles Peacock-Farrell endured.
Burnley’s different debutant, 20-year-old midfielder Josh Benson, got here closest for the guests when his second-half free-kick was deflected narrowly large.
In reality, Benson was not in the identical class as the boys he was opposing – though, not for the primary time in current seasons, that might be mentioned for each Burnley participant.
“You may’t begin a sport with a gameplan then throw it out of the window with a mistake that early in opposition to this group,” mentioned Dyche.
“They use the ball so nicely and there is motion all over the place, so it turns into a troublesome afternoon.
“We’ve acquired accidents galore in the intervening time. We recovered then acquired 4 or 5 extra this week. We performed into their palms. We performed a brief go which wasn’t wanted. We wished to place it on prime of them however we did not do it.”
Peacock-Farrell’s undesirable report – the stats
- Manchester Metropolis have received their previous seven conferences with Burnley by an combination rating of 28-1.
- Burnley have misplaced seven of their previous 10 Premier League video games, after dropping simply considered one of their 15 earlier than that.
- Metropolis are solely the second facet in Soccer League historical past to win 4 successive residence video games by 5 or extra targets in opposition to the identical opponent, after Notts County did so in opposition to Port Vale between October 1893 and February 1907.
- Solely in 1888-89 have Burnley misplaced extra of their opening 9 matches of a top-flight season than the six they’ve this time period.
- Mahrez has scored seven targets in his previous 4 Premier League appearances in opposition to Burnley – and has netted extra league targets in opposition to them (eight) than he has in opposition to another opponent.
- Since his Premier League debut (for Chelsea in August 2013), Manchester Metropolis’s De Bruyne has supplied 71 assists within the competitors, eight greater than another participant, regardless of making solely three appearances throughout the primary two campaigns in that point.
- Mendy’s first Metropolis objective got here in his sixtieth look for the membership.
- Torres netted his first league objective for Metropolis together with his 14th shot within the competitors and on his seventh look.
- Burnley’s Peacock-Farrell turned simply the third goalkeeper to concede 5 or extra targets on their Premier League debut, after John Sheffield in 1994 (5, Swindon v Aston Villa) and Matt Murray in 2003 (5, Wolves v Blackburn).
Manchester Metropolis journey to Porto within the Champions League on Tuesday (20:00 GMT kick-off), whereas Burnley host Everton within the Premier League on Saturday, 5 December (12:30).
- 3Rúben DiasSubstituted forGarcíaat 70′minutes
- 16RodriSubstituted forFernandinhoat 45′minutes
- 17De Bruyne
- 21TorresSubstituted forFodenat 67′minutes
- 9Gabriel Jesus
- 20Bernardo Silva
- 10BarnesSubstituted forVydraat 81′minutes
- 9WoodenSubstituted forPietersat 67′minutes
Stay Textual content
Match ends, Manchester Metropolis 5, Burnley 0.
Second Half ends, Manchester Metropolis 5, Burnley 0.
Try blocked. Riyad Mahrez (Manchester Metropolis) left footed shot from the suitable facet of the field is blocked.
Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester Metropolis) hits the left publish with a proper footed shot from the suitable facet of the field. Assisted by Riyad Mahrez.
Eric García (Manchester Metropolis) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Jay Rodriguez (Burnley).
Foul by Phil Foden (Manchester Metropolis).
Ashley Westwood (Burnley) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Foul by Eric García (Manchester Metropolis).
Josh Benson (Burnley) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Fernandinho (Manchester Metropolis).
Dwight McNeil (Burnley) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Try missed. Dwight McNeil (Burnley) left footed shot from the suitable facet of the field is just too excessive.
Substitution, Burnley. Matej Vydra replaces Ashley Barnes.
Try missed. Fernandinho (Manchester Metropolis) header from the centre of the field is only a bit too excessive. Assisted by Riyad Mahrez with a cross following a nook.
Nook, Manchester Metropolis. Conceded by Matthew Lowton.
Try blocked. Phil Foden (Manchester Metropolis) left footed shot from the left facet of the field is blocked. Assisted by Riyad Mahrez.
VAR Resolution: No Aim Manchester Metropolis 5-0 Burnley.
Offside, Manchester Metropolis. Kevin De Bruyne tries a by way of ball, however Gabriel Jesus is caught offside.
Try missed. Josh Benson (Burnley) proper footed shot from exterior the field is excessive and large to the suitable. Assisted by Ashley Westwood.
- Watch 13 FA Cup second-round video games on BBC iPlayer, the BBC Sport web site and app this weekend. Discover out extra right here.