Manchester United’s Champions League marketing campaign is hanging within the steadiness as two targets from Neymar helped Paris St-Germain safe victory at Previous Trafford.
Marcus Rashford had cancelled out the Brazilian’s early opener along with his third aim in 4 video games towards the French outfit.
However Marquinos’ glorious second-half end put the guests again in entrance and after United midfielder Fred had been despatched off for a foul on Ander Herrera, Neymar tapped dwelling his thirty eighth Champions League aim.
The outcome leaves United stage with PSG and RB Leipzig on 9 factors in Group H and figuring out they want a draw away to the German aspect subsequent Tuesday to progress to the final 16.
Rashford ache, Neymar acquire for PSG
Within the build-up to the sport, PSG boss Thomas Tuchel admitted Rashford had develop into “a bit of bit annoying”.
The sentiment was completely comprehensible given two seasons in the past the England ahead scored the injury-time penalty that knocked PSG out, regardless that that they had gained the primary leg of their last-16 tie 2-0 at Previous Trafford.
Rashford was additionally accountable for United’s 87th-minute winner within the French capital on matchday one.
So it’s truthful to imagine Tuchel’s view solely hardened when Rashford’s shot – after Kaylor Navas had pushed away an Anthony Martial effort – fully wrong-footed the keeper and ended up within the backside nook.
The aim equalised Neymar’s well-taken sixth-minute effort and took Rashford’s tally on this season’s competitors to 6, stage with the likes of Erling Haaland and former United team-mate Romelu Lukaku.
Had Martial not blazed over when introduced with an open aim when the second half was nonetheless in its infancy, or had he completed off the rebound when Edinson Cavani’s delicate chip got here again off the crossbar, quite than blast it into Marquinos, PSG might need had the life sucked out of them.
Because it was, they have been those increase a head of steam when Ander Herrera’s off-target shot was became Marquinos’ path and he put them again in entrance.
United did push for an equaliser and substitute Paul Pogba got here shut when he volleyed over from the sting of the world however, with an additional man, PSG at all times had the sting and after Kylian Mbappe had fired huge, Neymar completed the hosts off.
With 38 targets he’s now two behind Sergio Aguero, who’s the second highest South American goalscorer within the competitors.
Solskjaer’s large mistake
Main query marks will hold over Solskjaer after this outcome.
Whereas the United boss can legitimately argue the warning that received Fred despatched off was debatable – he screamed for a VAR examine however they don’t intervene on yellow card choices – he can barely declare the Brazilian didn’t need to be despatched off sooner or later within the recreation.
The most important flashpoint got here when he clashed with Leandro Paredes shortly earlier than Rashford’s equaliser.
Because the pair confronted off, Fred appeared to push his head in direction of Paredes, who went down clutching his face. Italian referee Daniele Orsati went to the display screen to examine what had occurred however, to Tuchel’s disbelief, solely issued a yellow card.
When the identical pair got here collectively once more shortly afterwards, Orsati dominated Paredes was the aggressor and cautioned him, regardless that Fred ended up standing on his opponent.
Given an offended Neymar went to the referee for a protracted chat at half-time, after he was pulled away from Scott McTominay, it felt an apparent determination to interchange Fred, notably as Solskjaer had 5 substitutes at his disposal.
As a substitute, Fred returned for the second interval, leaving his supervisor to face the implications, with PSG’s official Twitter feed asserting ‘lastly’ because the Brazilian made his method prematurely to the dressing rooms.
Prolific Rashford however poor dwelling kind – the stats
- The away aspect have gained all 4 Uefa Champions League matches between Manchester United and Paris St-Germain. Excluding video games performed at impartial venues, it is the primary fixture within the competitors’s historical past to see the primary 4 conferences all gained by the away aspect.
- Manchester United have now misplaced extra of their eight dwelling video games in all competitions this season (4) than they did in 28 matches at Previous Trafford final time period (3).
- Manchester United have misplaced 4 of their previous seven Champions League dwelling video games (W3), as many as of their earlier 52 matches beforehand.
- PSG have gained each of their previous two away matches towards English opposition in all competitions (each v Man Utd); that they had solely gained considered one of their first 10 such visits earlier than this (D4 L5).
- Each of Manchester United’s final two Champions League pink playing cards have come at dwelling to PSG (Pogba the opposite in February 2019) – their solely two such conferences with the French aspect.
- Man Utd’s Fred was the forty ninth completely different Brazilian participant to obtain a Champions League pink card; solely France has had extra completely different gamers despatched off within the competitors’s historical past (55).
- At 05:45, Neymar’s opener for PSG was the earliest Champions League aim conceded by Manchester United since September 2015, when Daniel Caligiuri scored towards them after 03:53 for Wolfsburg.
- Since his Uefa Champions League debut in 2013, solely Cristiano Ronaldo (79), Robert Lewandowski (60) and Lionel Messi (59) have extra targets within the competitors than PSG’s Neymar (38). Nonetheless, his double was the Brazilian’s first targets in his six Champions League matches away to English golf equipment.
- Marcus Rashford has scored extra targets in 5 Uefa Champions League video games for Man Utd this season (6) than he managed in 18 appearances within the competitors throughout his two earlier seasons, 2017-18 and 2018-19 (5).
- Rashford is the primary Man Utd participant to attain in all three of their dwelling video games in a single group stage within the Uefa Champions League since Ruud van Nistelrooy in 2004-05. Certainly, he’s simply the second Englishman to attain six Champions League targets in a single group stage for any aspect, after Harry Kane in each 2017-18 and 2019-20 (six in each).
Manchester United journey to West Ham within the Premier League on Saturday (17:30 GMT). That recreation is set to be the primary top-flight match to have followers since March.
- 1de Gea
- 29Wan-BissakaSubstituted forIghaloat 90′minutes
- 17FredBooked at 70mins
- 10RashfordSubstituted forPogbaat 74′minutes
- 18Bruno Fernandes
- 9MartialSubstituted forGreenwoodat 79′minutes
- 7CavaniSubstituted forvan de Beekat 79′minutes
- 34van de Beek
- 24FlorenziSubstituted forKehrerat 78′minutes
- 22DialloSubstituted forGueyeat 90′minutes
- 8ParedesBooked at 38minsSubstituted forHerreraat 65′minutes
- 6VerrattiBooked at 59minsSubstituted forRafinhaat 78′minutes
- 18KeanSubstituted forBakkerat 65′minutes
- 11Di María
- Daniele Orsato
Reside Textual content
Match ends, Manchester United 1, Paris Saint Germain 3.
Second Half ends, Manchester United 1, Paris Saint Germain 3.
Rafinha (Paris Saint Germain) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Odion Ighalo (Manchester United).
Purpose! Manchester United 1, Paris Saint Germain 3. Neymar (Paris Saint Germain) left footed shot from the centre of the field to the centre of the aim. Assisted by Rafinha.
Substitution, Paris Saint Germain. Idrissa Gueye replaces Abdou Diallo due to an damage.
Substitution, Manchester United. Odion Ighalo replaces Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
Try missed. Kylian Mbappé (Paris Saint Germain) left footed shot from the centre of the field misses to the correct. Assisted by Ander Herrera following a quick break.
Try blocked. Harry Maguire (Manchester United) header from the centre of the field is blocked. Assisted by Alex Telles with a cross.
Nook, Manchester United. Conceded by Thilo Kehrer.
Neymar (Paris Saint Germain) wins a free kick on the left wing.
Foul by Aaron Wan-Bissaka (Manchester United).
Try saved. Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United) header from the left aspect of the six yard field is saved within the high left nook.
Offside, Paris Saint Germain. Mitchel Bakker tries a by way of ball, however Kylian Mbappé is caught offside.
Marquinhos (Paris Saint Germain) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United).
Foul by Neymar (Paris Saint Germain).
Harry Maguire (Manchester United) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Ander Herrera (Paris Saint Germain) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Donny van de Beek (Manchester United).