Manchester United scored three late targets at Newcastle to earn victory and assist ease the distress inflicted by the heavy defeat in opposition to Tottenham.
It was an unbelievable remaining couple of minutes for a group who appeared as if that they had blown their likelihood of three factors following Bruno Fernandes’ failure from the penalty spot within the 58th minute.
United wanted a constructive response following that 6-1 thumping by Spurs earlier than the worldwide break, however their hopes suffered a blow when Emil Krafth’s cross got here off defender Luke Shaw and beat keeper David de Gea.
Harry Maguire, who like his facet has endured an unsettled interval, equalised to haul the guests again into the sport.
And it appeared as if the match was set to show of their favour within the second half when referee Craig Pawson, after consulting the pitch-side monitor, judged Jamal Lewis to have fouled Marcus Rashford and awarded a penalty.
Nonetheless, Fernandes, who beforehand had a 100% document from the spot for United, noticed his fierce strike brilliantly pushed away by Karl Darlow.
The Portugal midfielder was to not be denied although and with 4 minutes remaining he lastly beat the Magpies keeper with a thumping end, earlier than Aaron Wan-Bissaka, together with his first for the membership, and Rashford ensured United’s second win of the season.
Man Utd endurance pays off on Tyneside
There have been sub-plots coming into this match, centring round how United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer would have his group arrange after the defeat by Spurs, and the way Maguire would carry out.
The Norwegian caught by his skipper, whose type has been inconsistent this season and who had been despatched off enjoying for England throughout the latest worldwide break.
The centre-back produced arguably his most assured show of the season and it was considerably poetic that his precision header introduced his facet again into the match.
The opposite individual within the United camp who skilled each bitter and candy was Fernandes. He had beforehand scored 10 out of 10 from the spot for the Crimson Devils however his run was dropped at an emphatic cease by the flying Darlow.
However the guests didn’t enable their heads to drop, in contrast to at Outdated Trafford two weeks in the past, and breached the ultimate line of defence as soon as once more when Fernandes smacked his angled strike excessive previous the previous the Magpies keeper after an excellent transfer down the left.
Wan-Bissaka, on his fiftieth look for the membership, produced an equally thunderous end from the precise earlier than Rashford slotted in a properly deserved purpose for himself.
The England striker, 22, with out his acquainted strike companions Anthony Martial and Mason Greenwood, as soon as once more produced a really mature show.
Magpies impress regardless of defeat
The scoreline reads 4-1, however in opposition to one of many ‘massive six’, Magpies boss Steve Bruce’s facet fought fireplace with fireplace, notably within the first half.
French winger Allan Saint-Maximin, who dazzled in opposition to Burnley within the 3-1 win, starred once more – albeit in spurts – and was integral to the transfer that led to the opener.
He then supplied the cross for striker Callum Wilson which ought to have resulted in Newcastle’s second, however as an alternative resulted in one of many saves of the season from De Gea.
Darlow, 30, made a number of good stops and continued till the tip of the match regardless of showing to be affected by an damage within the remaining quarter of the sport.
However even at full health the keeper couldn’t have finished a lot concerning the late targets although, as his team-mates in entrance of him drained, permitting their opponents to exploits the gaps in defence.
‘The defeat seems worse than it actually was’ – response
Newcastle supervisor Steve Bruce chatting with BBC’s Match of the Day:
“They had been a handful all night time. A few of their ahead gamers and their motion, we discovered it troublesome. They scored from a free-kick we had and broke away [for the second goal] after which in the direction of the tip we had been a bit naive.
“Darlow has been improbable. He was courageous once we wanted him to be. your goalkeeper must play properly in opposition to the massive groups, I hope he can be OK subsequent week.
“I assumed we had been slightly bit too straightforward at instances to play in opposition to. We’ll go away actually, actually upset as a result of we had been 10 minutes away and it may have gone both approach when it will get that late.
“It’s a work in progress for us. We have now tried to vary and with that it’s going to take time. The defeat seems worse than it actually was.”
Mata shines in opposition to Newcastle once more – the stats
- Newcastle conceded 4 targets at house within the Premier League for the primary time since 5 April 2014, additionally in opposition to Manchester United (4-0).
- Manchester United loved their tenth comeback win in opposition to Newcastle within the Premier League, probably the most by any facet in opposition to a single opponent within the competitors.
- Newcastle are with out a clear sheet in seven Premier League house video games, their longest such run with out a shut-out on house soil since February 2014 (eight).
- Manchester United have been awarded 17 penalties within the Premier League for the reason that begin of final season, 5 greater than every other facet within the competitors (12 scored).
- Manchester United have scored 5 personal targets in opposition to Newcastle within the Premier League (Henning Berg, Wes Brown, Phil Jones, Jonny Evans and Luke Shaw), solely two sides have scored extra in opposition to a single opponent (Sunderland v Man Utd and Liverpool v Tottenham).
- Mata has been straight concerned in 9 targets in opposition to Newcastle United within the Premier League (4 targets, 5 assists); in opposition to no different facet has he had a hand in additional (additionally 9 v Norwich).
- Fernandes has been straight concerned in 20 targets in his 18 Premier League appearances for Manchester United (11 targets, 9 assists), scoring in every of his final three video games.
- Wan-Bissaka turned the 116th totally different participant to attain for Manchester United within the Premier League in what’s his thirty eighth league look for the membership.
- Rashford registered three purpose involvements in a single Premier League sport for the third time (one purpose, two assists), additionally doing so in opposition to Fulham in December 2018 and Arsenal in February 2016.
Manchester United are at Paris St-Germain within the Champions League on Tuesday (20:00 BST) after which host Chelsea at house subsequent Saturday (17:30 BST). Newcastle are Wolves subsequent Sunday (16:30 GMT).
- 17KrafthBooked at 67mins
- 14HaydenSubstituted forSchärat 49′minutes
- 9JoelintonSubstituted forFraserat 72′minutes
- 16HendrickSubstituted forAlmirónat 88′minutes
- 13C Wilson
- 1de Gea
- 17FredSubstituted forPogbaat 69′minutes
- 8MataSubstituted forMaticat 90+2′minutes
- 18Bruno Fernandes
- 21JamesBooked at 37minsSubstituted forvan de Beekat 76′minutes
- 34van de Beek
Stay Textual content
Match ends, Newcastle United 1, Manchester United 4.
Second Half ends, Newcastle United 1, Manchester United 4.
Aim! Newcastle United 1, Manchester United 4. Marcus Rashford (Manchester United) proper footed shot from the left facet of the field to the centre of the purpose. Assisted by Bruno Fernandes with a by means of ball.
Nook, Manchester United. Conceded by Federico Fernández.
Try blocked. Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United) proper footed shot from outdoors the field is blocked. Assisted by Donny van de Beek.
Foul by Harry Maguire (Manchester United).
Callum Wilson (Newcastle United) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Substitution, Manchester United. Nemanja Matic replaces Juan Mata.
Aim! Newcastle United 1, Manchester United 3. Aaron Wan-Bissaka (Manchester United) proper footed shot from the precise facet of the field to the highest proper nook. Assisted by Marcus Rashford.
Substitution, Newcastle United. Miguel Almirón replaces Jeff Hendrick.
Aim! Newcastle United 1, Manchester United 2. Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United) proper footed shot from a troublesome angle on the left to the highest proper nook. Assisted by Marcus Rashford following a quick break.
Foul by Paul Pogba (Manchester United).
Callum Wilson (Newcastle United) wins a free kick on the precise wing.
Foul by Donny van de Beek (Manchester United).
Jeff Hendrick (Newcastle United) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Try missed. Harry Maguire (Manchester United) proper footed shot from outdoors the field is shut, however misses to the left. Assisted by Paul Pogba.
Substitution, Manchester United. Donny van de Beek replaces Daniel James.
Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United) wins a free kick on the left wing.
Foul by Fabian Schär (Newcastle United).
Substitution, Newcastle United. Ryan Fraser replaces Joelinton.