Olivier Giroud scored all 4 objectives in a complete Chelsea victory over Sevilla that ensures the Blues take prime spot in Champions League Group E.
The Frenchman scored early in every half with two pleasant finishes after being fed by intelligent passes from Kai Havertz and Matteo Kovacic respectively.
He accomplished the treble with a flicked near-post header, then transformed a penalty after he was bundled over within the field.
Already assured of qualification for the final 16, Chelsea made 9 modifications to the crew that drew 0-0 with Tottenham within the Premier League on Sunday.
Each Havertz and Christian Pulisic made their first Blues begins since October following sickness and damage, whereas 19-year-old midfielder Billy Gilmour got here off the bench for his first look of the season.
Sevilla, additionally positive of their place within the knockout levels, have been with out a lot of first-choice gamers and have been pressured to provide a debut to goalkeeper Alfonso Pastor after Tomas Vaclik was injured within the warm-up.
There was little the 20-year-old might do in regards to the objectives and his saves ensured Chelsea’s profitable margin was not better.
Giroud makes his level – once more
Giroud had made just one earlier begin for Chelsea this season, within the EFL Cup defeat by Tottenham, however this haul got here after he scored a stoppage-time winner as an alternative in opposition to Rennes final week.
His path to common Premier League soccer is blocked by Timo Werner and Tammy Abraham, however he might do no extra to take the chance introduced to him in southern Spain.
“He is the last word skilled,” stated Lampard. “You see his numbers for France and his numbers within the Champions League.
“He wasn’t an everyday earlier than I acquired right here however as quickly as I got here in I noticed his positivity, how he needs to coach, how he needs to have an effect on folks, whether or not he begins or not.
“He is a terrific instance for the youthful gamers and different gamers, that once they’re not all the time taking part in, they maintain coaching nicely then are available and carry out like he did tonight.”
The previous Arsenal man put in a whole efficiency, not solely displaying scientific ending, but in addition a bodily presence that tortured the house defence.
Chelsea discovered common pleasure with runs from midfield and it was Havertz’s early burst that led to a lay-off to Giroud, who in the reduction of and tucked contained in the far publish together with his left foot.
The second aim was a pleasure, a dinked right-footed end over Pastor, whereas the header from N’Golo Kante’s cross from the best accomplished a ‘good’ hat-trick.
The spot-kick, drilled in together with his left foot, was Giroud’s last act earlier than he was withdrawn.
“I did not know till two years in the past that you simply referred to as it a ‘good’ hat-trick,” Giroud instructed BT Sport. “Once I scored in opposition to Kyiv within the Europa League I stated ‘what do you imply?’ It was good, I had good assists, although.
“I’ll attempt to keep it up like that to complete the nice work of the crew. It is all the time good to be within the membership historical past and we play soccer to mark our historical past so I am happy to assist the crew to win and to attain the 4 objectives.”
Chelsea coast to prime spot
Whereas each groups made modifications secure within the data their progress was already sure, there was nonetheless the carrot of a theoretically simpler draw within the final 16 to play for.
Chelsea wouldn’t have anticipated such an easy night in opposition to a Sevilla facet who sit fifth in La Liga and took a degree from a goalless draw at Stamford Bridge in October.
But, bar a interval within the first half when set-pieces from the left precipitated hassle within the visiting defence, the Blues coasted to a fourth successive Champions League victory for the primary time since they lifted the trophy in 2012.
Havertz and Pulisic, who’ve seen Hakim Ziyech emerge throughout their time on the sidelines, have been each energetic, whereas Callum Hudson-Odoi was a menace down the best.
Antonio Rudiger noticed a header from a nook cleared off the road on the finish of a good first interval, earlier than Chelsea dominated the second half because the hosts drained.
By the top, that they had prolonged their unbeaten run in all competitions to fifteen video games, throughout which era they’ve saved eight clear sheets.
Olivier’s military – the stats
- Sevilla have been unbeaten in 14 dwelling matches in all European competitions coming into this recreation (W12 D2), with this their first such defeat since April 2018 vs Bayern Munich.
- Chelsea have received two Champions League video games by a minimum of 4 objectives beneath Frank Lampard – solely beneath Jose Mourinho have they got extra such wins (six).
- In what was Sevilla’s one centesimal dwelling match in European competitors, they misplaced by a four-goal margin on dwelling soil for the very first time.
- Chelsea’s Olivier Giroud (34 years and 63 days) grew to become the oldest participant to attain a hat-trick within the Champions League/European Cup since Ferenc Puskas for Actual Madrid vs Feyenoord in September 1965 (38 years and 173 days).
- Giroud grew to become simply the second participant to a rating a Champions League hat-trick for 2 English sides (Arsenal & Chelsea), after Michael Owen (Liverpool & Manchester United).
- He additionally grew to become the primary Chelsea participant to attain 4 objectives in a single recreation since present supervisor Frank Lampard did so in opposition to Aston Villa in March 2010.
Chelsea host Leeds within the Premier League on Saturday (20:00 GMT), earlier than rounding off the Champions League group stage at dwelling to Krasnodar subsequent Tuesday. Sevilla play Actual Madrid in La Liga on the weekend earlier than a European date with Rennes.
- 16NavasSubstituted forKoundéat 59′minutes
- 3GómezBooked at 82mins
- 20Santos Silva
- 6GudeljBooked at 15mins
- 10RakiticSubstituted forTorresat 75′minutes
- 22VázquezSubstituted forEl Haddadiat 66′minutes
- 14RodríguezSubstituted forJordánat 60′minutesBooked at 90mins
- 23IdrissiBooked at 42minsSubstituted forOcamposat 60′minutes
- 9de Jong
- 11El Haddadi
- 29HavertzSubstituted forKantéat 67′minutes
- 5JorginhoSubstituted forGilmourat 85′minutes
- 17KovacicBooked at 37minsSubstituted forZiyechat 67′minutesBooked at 90mins
- 18GiroudSubstituted forWernerat 84′minutes
- 10PulisicBooked at 43minsSubstituted forMountat 67′minutesBooked at 90mins
- Artur Manuel Soares Dias
Reside Textual content
Match ends, Sevilla 0, Chelsea 4.
Second Half ends, Sevilla 0, Chelsea 4.
Try saved. Youssef En-Nesyri (Sevilla) header from the centre of the field is saved within the centre of the aim. Assisted by Óliver Torres.
Youssef En-Nesyri (Sevilla) wins a free kick on the best wing.
Foul by Emerson (Chelsea).
Joan Jordán (Sevilla) is proven the yellow card.
Hakim Ziyech (Chelsea) is proven the yellow card.
Mason Mount (Chelsea) is proven the yellow card.
Foul by Joan Jordán (Sevilla).
Hakim Ziyech (Chelsea) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Karim Rekik (Sevilla) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by César Azpilicueta (Chelsea).
Foul by Joan Jordán (Sevilla).
Mason Mount (Chelsea) wins a free kick on the left wing.
VAR Resolution: No Penalty Chelsea.
Substitution, Chelsea. Billy Gilmour replaces Jorginho.
Substitution, Chelsea. Timo Werner replaces Olivier Giroud.
Purpose! Sevilla 0, Chelsea 4. Olivier Giroud (Chelsea) converts the penalty with a left footed shot to the highest proper nook.
Sergi Gómez (Sevilla) is proven the yellow card for a foul foul.
Penalty conceded by Sergi Gómez (Sevilla) after a foul within the penalty space.