The final remaining unbeaten document of the Premier League season was ended as leaders Everton crashed to defeat in opposition to a formidable Southampton at St Mary’s.
James Ward-Prowse beat Jordan Pickford with a ferocious end earlier than Che Adams doubled the lead with the assistance of a deflection, Danny Ings concerned in each objectives.
Everton went into the sport having taken 13 factors from their first 5 video games however missed injured captain Seamus Coleman.
Stand-in skipper Gylfi Sigurdsson struck the bar from 20 yards when the sport was goalless, however the guests struggled to significantly take a look at keeper Alex McCarthy and completed the sport with 10 males.
Full-back Lucas Digne was proven a straight crimson card after a nasty problem on Kyle Walker-Peters, the second successive recreation wherein Everton have had a participant despatched off after Richarlison’s dismissal in final week’s Merseyside derby.
What a distinction a yr makes
It’s one yr since Southampton had been humiliated 9-0 by Leicester Metropolis in entrance of their very own followers, a outcome that had many questioning Ralph Hasenhuttl’s future.
Regardless of dropping the subsequent three league and cup video games, Saints opted to stay with the Austrian and their loyalty has paid off.
This was their sixteenth win in 34 top-flight video games because the crushing Leicester outcome, and it was each bit as spectacular as final season’s eye-catching victories over Manchester Metropolis, Chelsea, Tottenham and Leicester which helped earn Hasenhuttl a brand new four-year contract.
Eight of the workforce concerned within the Leicester humiliation began, together with Ings, who offered each assists as Saints struck twice within the house of eight first-half minutes.
Throughout a dominant first-half show, England ahead Ings offered the go for Ward-Prowse to smash past Pickford earlier than delivering a cross for Adams to ship a deflected shot previous the Everton keeper.
Saints performed with depth and goal.
Moments earlier than Ward-Prowse’s first league purpose since 28 June, Oriol Romeu went shut from 30 yards, whereas, with the rating 2-0, Stuart Armstrong beat Pickford however an offside choice meant it didn’t depend.
After Everton had been diminished to 10 males within the 72nd minute, Jannik Vestergaard pressured Pickford right into a finger-tip save.
Having misplaced their first two video games of this season, Saints are actually unbeaten in 4, have three clear sheets of their previous 4 matches and are as much as fifth within the desk.
Day to neglect for Ancelotti
Everton have gained many plaudits for the beginning they’ve made to the season however Carlo Ancelotti’s aspect had been very a lot second finest in opposition to Saints.
With out the influential Coleman, Ben Godfrey began as a makeshift right-back however struggled on his first league begin for the membership.
He was not alone throughout a torpid workforce efficiency, Sigurdsson lasting lower than an hour carrying the captain’s armband earlier than he was changed.
Pickford, who got here in for intense criticism following his problem on Virgil van Dijk in final week’s Merseyside derby, was virtually embarrassed late within the recreation by Ings after a back-pass by Yerry Mina.
Substitute Bernard added some a lot wanted vitality to the midfield when he changed Alex Iwobi firstly of the second half.
However Everton didn’t drive McCarthy into one severe save, Dominic Calvert-Lewin managing simply two touches in Southampton’s penalty space as he struggled for service.
Shortest unbeaten begin to season since 1967-68 – the stats
- Everton’s defeat means that is the primary English top-flight marketing campaign since 1967-68 wherein no sides are unbeaten via the primary six matches.
- Southampton have crushed the workforce beginning the day prime of the Premier League for the primary time in 12 matches, since a 1-0 victory at Anfield in opposition to Brendan Rodgers’ Liverpool in September 2013.
- Everton have conceded at the least twice in 4 of their previous 5 Premier League video games, and have accomplished so in three straight league matches for the primary time since December 2019.
- Southampton have gained 10 factors from their six Premier League video games this season – their finest return at this stage since 2014-15 below Ronald Koeman.
- James Ward-Prowse has scored 13 Premier League objectives below his present supervisor Ralph Hasenhuttl, in 64 video games – three greater than he managed in 173 appearances for seven completely different managers for Southampton.
- Everton have acquired straight crimson playing cards in back-to-back Premier League video games for the primary time since December 2002.
- After failing to attain in any of his first 24 Premier League appearances, Che Adams has now netted six instances in his previous 12 matches for Southampton within the competitors.
Each groups are again in Premier League motion subsequent Sunday – Southampton are at Aston Villa (12:00 GMT), whereas Everton are additionally away at Newcastle (14:00 GMT).
- 2Walker-PetersBooked at 57mins
- 17ArmstrongSubstituted forDialloat 86′minutes
- 10AdamsSubstituted forN’Lunduluat 89′minutes
- 12DigneBooked at 72mins
- 16DoucouréSubstituted forGordonat 58′minutes
- 10G SigurdssonSubstituted forDelphat 58′minutes
- 9Calvert-LewinBooked at 90mins
- 17IwobiSubstituted forBernardat 45′minutesBooked at 64mins
- 21André Gomes
Reside Textual content
Match ends, Southampton 2, Everton 0.
Second Half ends, Southampton 2, Everton 0.
Try saved. Oriol Romeu (Southampton) left footed shot from exterior the field is saved within the centre of the purpose. Assisted by James Ward-Prowse.
Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton) is proven the yellow card for a foul foul.
Jannik Vestergaard (Southampton) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton).
Foul by Ryan Bertrand (Southampton).
Anthony Gordon (Everton) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Substitution, Southampton. Daniel N’Lundulu replaces Che Adams.
Try missed. Danny Ings (Southampton) proper footed shot from the left aspect of the field is excessive and vast to the precise. Assisted by James Ward-Prowse following a nook.
Substitution, Southampton. Ibrahima Diallo replaces Stuart Armstrong.
Nook, Southampton. Conceded by Anthony Gordon.
Try blocked. Stuart Armstrong (Southampton) proper footed shot from exterior the field is blocked. Assisted by James Ward-Prowse.
Nook, Southampton. Conceded by Jordan Pickford.
Try saved. Jannik Vestergaard (Southampton) header from the centre of the field is saved within the prime centre of the purpose. Assisted by Ryan Bertrand with a cross.
Nook, Southampton. Conceded by Allan.
Foul by James Rodríguez (Everton).
Nathan Redmond (Southampton) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Lucas Digne (Everton) is proven the crimson card.
Foul by Lucas Digne (Everton).