Thomas Tuchel continued his unbeaten begin as Chelsea supervisor with victory at Tottenham, a end result that moved them into the Premier League’s prime six.
Jorginho’s first-half penalty, awarded after Eric Dier upended Timo Werner, gave the Blues a win their extra progressive method deserved towards a Spurs facet devoid of concepts and ambition till it was too late.
Tuchel has now loved two wins and a draw, with out conceding a purpose, since changing the sacked Frank Lampard, and whereas the animated German sometimes displayed indicators of frustration in his technical space, this was finally a satisfying consequence.
In distinction, it was a 3rd successive defeat in a dismal sequence for Tottenham and supervisor Jose Mourinho as they had been punished for a desperately unfavorable gameplan which, shorn of primary marksman Harry Kane, barely gave Chelsea an anxious second till Carlos Vinicius headed Serge Aurier’s cross extensive on the far publish when unmarked late on.
Demanding Tuchel continues good star
Tuchel has wasted no time in laying down his calls for to Chelsea’s gamers and his presence on the touchline actually galvanises them into motion.
He was on the transfer all through this win, expressing pleasure and discontent all through, on one event shouting “sure” and applauding his facet vigorously after bellowing “go, go” to order Chelsea to pressurise Spurs.
It’s early days however Tuchel has obtained Chelsea enjoying at a sooner tempo and the right-sided mixture of Reece James and Callum Hudson-Odoi is clearly one thing he feels has promise.
In actuality, this was a comparatively snug evening for the Blues, regardless of dropping the skilled Thiago Silva with a hamstring harm within the first half.
Chelsea keeper Edouard Mendy was barely troubled, other than a diving save from Erik Lamela, whereas Mason Mount’s driving runs and power from midfield had been positive to have impressed his new supervisor.
Werner continues to be struggling for a break, however he gained the essential penalty and by no means stopped working regardless of not all the time having fun with the very best of fortune.
All in all, this was a satisfying evening for Tuchel and his new prices.
Adverse Spurs deserved nothing
Spurs supervisor Mourinho will little doubt level to that unhealthy late miss to Vinicius as a second once they might need snatched some extent – however, in actuality, they obtained what their method merited: nothing.
Mourhino’s facet appeared desperately in need of menace with out the injured Kane, with even Son Heung-min struggling as he acquired little assist or service.
In a bewildering first-half show, Spurs at instances nearly appeared unwilling to go away their very own half, immediately handing the initiative to Chelsea. It was an invite the guests had been solely too comfortable to simply accept.
Tottenham, as they needed to do, confirmed extra constructive intent after the break, nevertheless it was hardly a wave of assaults and, when he did make adjustments, it was vital Mourinho turned to Lamela and Lucas Moura quite than Gareth Bale, who was left unused.
Kane’s absence would strip any crew of an fringe of menace nevertheless it was additionally Mourinho’s no-risk technique that permit Tuchel’s facet profit for a lot of the recreation.
Late rally apart, notably Vinicius’ miss, this was a grim night for Spurs their supervisor.
Mourinho’s first ever back-to-back house defeats the stats
- Mourinho misplaced back-to-back house league matches for the primary time in his 327th such recreation.
- Tuchel turned the primary Chelsea supervisor to maintain clear sheets in his first three matches in cost since Mourinho in August 2004.
- Tottenham have suffered three successive Premier League defeats for the primary time since November 2012.
- Chelsea have seven factors from Tuchel’s three matches – as many as they managed in Lampard’s last eight.
- Spurs have misplaced 4 of their previous 5 league video games when Kane has not performed.
- Mourinho has not gained any of his previous seven video games towards former membership Chelsea – his joint-longest winless run towards an opponent in his managerial profession (additionally towards Barcelona between April 2011 and January 2012 when he was Actual Madrid boss).
- Jorginho’s opener for Chelsea was his tenth Premier League purpose, eight of which have been penalties.
- Alongside Jamie Vardy, Anthony Martial and Patrick Bamford, Chelsea striker Werner has gained the joint-most Premier League penalties this season (three every).
Extra to comply with.
- 4AlderweireldBooked at 50mins
- 5HøjbjergBooked at 63mins
- 23BergwijnSubstituted forLucas Mouraat 69′minutes
- 28NdombeleSubstituted forLamelaat 69′minutes
- 7Son Heung-Min
- 45Alves Morais
- 6D Sánchez
- 27Lucas Moura
- 28AzpilicuetaBooked at 88mins
- 6Thiago SilvaSubstituted forChristensenat 36′minutes
- 17KovacicSubstituted forKantéat 74′minutesBooked at 81mins
- 20Hudson-OdoiSubstituted forPulisicat 65′minutesBooked at 79mins
Reside Textual content
Match ends, Tottenham Hotspur 0, Chelsea 1.
Second Half ends, Tottenham Hotspur 0, Chelsea 1.
Try missed. Son Heung-Min (Tottenham Hotspur) proper footed shot from the correct facet of the field is just too excessive.
Try blocked. Timo Werner (Chelsea) proper footed shot from the left facet of the field is blocked. Assisted by N’Golo Kanté.
Try missed. Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur) proper footed shot from exterior the field misses to the left from a direct free kick.
César Azpilicueta (Chelsea) is proven the yellow card for a foul foul.
Foul by César Azpilicueta (Chelsea).
Son Heung-Min (Tottenham Hotspur) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Try missed. Carlos Vinicius (Tottenham Hotspur) header from the centre of the field is shut, however misses to the left. Assisted by Serge Aurier with a cross.
Try missed. Lucas Moura (Tottenham Hotspur) proper footed shot from exterior the field is just too excessive. Assisted by Moussa Sissoko.
Try missed. Christian Pulisic (Chelsea) left footed shot from exterior the field misses to the left.
Christian Pulisic (Chelsea) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Foul by Pierre-Emile Højbjerg (Tottenham Hotspur).
N’Golo Kanté (Chelsea) is proven the yellow card for a foul foul.
Foul by N’Golo Kanté (Chelsea).
Lucas Moura (Tottenham Hotspur) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Christian Pulisic (Chelsea) is proven the yellow card for a foul foul.
Try saved. Erik Lamela (Tottenham Hotspur) left footed shot from exterior the field is saved within the backside left nook. Assisted by Son Heung-Min.
Antonio Rüdiger (Chelsea) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Erik Lamela (Tottenham Hotspur).