Carlos Vinicius scored his first two Tottenham targets as Jose Mourinho’s aspect remained heading in the right direction to achieve the Europa League knockout stage with a snug victory towards Ludogorets.
The Premier League leaders, tied on 9 factors on the high of Group J however second to Antwerp as a consequence of an inferior head-to-head report, can seal qualification with some extent away to Austrian aspect LASK subsequent Thursday.
Spurs repeated the dominance they displayed within the 3-1 win in Bulgaria three weeks in the past and Vinicius translated that superiority into two targets earlier than half-time.
The Brazilian, on a season-long mortgage from Benfica, obtained his second due to Dele Alli’s selfless cross throughout purpose when he might simply have shot himself.
Harry Winks added a 3rd from 50 yards – though afterwards admitted he was attempting to cross to Gareth Bale reasonably than shoot – as he caught out Ludogorets keeper Plamen Iliev halfway by way of the second half.
Vinicius then turned supplier for compatriot Lucas Moura to wrap up a good-looking victory.
Solely Tanguy Ndombele retained his beginning place from Saturday’s victory over Manchester Metropolis, with Mourinho opting to relaxation key gamers earlier than Sunday’s Premier League assembly with third-placed Chelsea.
It was a fifth straight win for Spurs, whose shock defeat by Antwerp – their opponents within the remaining group sport – is their solely defeat in 16 matches in all competitions.
Alli decided to show level
Alli and Vinicius have been two of 4 gamers substituted after 45 minutes within the defeat by Antwerp, however each impressed on this event – albeit towards restricted opposition.
Previous to Thursday’s match, Alli had twice been changed at half-time in his three begins this season however the 24-year-old confirmed glimpses of his previous self in an instrumental show.
It was Alli’s through-ball, meant for Bale, which was deflected into the trail of Vinicius for Spurs’ Sixteenth-minute breakthrough.
The England playmaker then nudged the ball into Vinicius’ path for the Brazilian striker’s second after he adopted up Ndombele’s saved shot.
The previous MK Dons participant continued to work laborious till his 81st-minute substitution, wrestling again possession and discovering the vigorous Vinicius to arrange Moura’s fourth.
It was a step in the fitting course for Alli who, having been linked with a transfer from Spurs over the summer time, has lower a peripheral determine this time period.
However with 10 video games in 32 days to come back for Spurs earlier than the top of the 12 months, this efficiency might persuade Mourinho he can depend on Alli for the challenges forward.
Spurs keep momentum
Mourinho spoke of Tottenham’s ongoing “evolution” following their assertion win towards Pep Guardiola’s Metropolis – however insisted his aspect are usually not combating to win the Premier League regardless of being high of the desk this far right into a top-flight season for the primary time since 1985.
Strive as he may to quell discuss of a title problem, the actual fact Tottenham are in pole place with near 1 / 4 of such an unpredictable marketing campaign gone can’t be disregarded.
The simple win towards Ludogorets was the most recent suggestion – a 12 months on from the sacking of Mauricio Pochettino – that Mourinho’s in-form aspect are in rivalry to finish a 12-year trophy drought.
Ought to success not arrive domestically, the squad depth demonstrated by Thursday’s 10 modifications suggests the Europa League – which Mourinho received with Manchester United in 2017 – gives a sensible path to silverware.
With the consequence determined, 16-year-old Dane Scarlett got here on as an alternative to change into Spurs’ youngest participant in a aggressive sport and twice went near scoring a debut purpose as Spurs introduced the final 32 firmly in sight.
Spurs’ finest run for 2 years – the stats
- Tottenham have received 5 consecutive matches in all competitions for the primary time since a run of six below Mauricio Pochettino in November 2018.
- Mourinho’s aspect have saved three consecutive clear sheets for the primary time since April 2019.
- Spurs have scored in 25 of their 26 residence matches within the Europa League for the reason that competitors’s rebranding in 2009-10.
- Carlos Vinicius’ first targets for Spurs arrived in his fifth look for the membership in all competitions. He has been concerned in 5 targets in 4 European video games for Tottenham.
- Harry Winks’ purpose got here from a distance of 53.7 yards – solely two targets have been scored from additional out within the Europa League since 2009-10 (Jordi Gomez for Omonia Nicosia towards PSV (61.2 yards) and Kemar Roofe for Rangers towards Commonplace Liege (55.4 yards) – each in October of this 12 months).
Tottenham are away to Chelsea on Sunday at 16:30 GMT, earlier than travelling to LASK of their penultimate Europa League group sport subsequent Thursday (17:55).
- 12HartSubstituted forWhitemanat 82′minutes
- 6D Sánchez
- 28NdombeleBooked at 52minsSubstituted forHøjbjergat 61′minutesBooked at 90mins
- 9BaleSubstituted forClarkeat 68′minutes
- 20AlliSubstituted forWhiteat 82′minutes
- 27Lucas MouraSubstituted forScarlettat 82′minutes
- 45Alves Morais
- 7Son Heung-Min
- 11DespodovBooked at 43minsSubstituted forTekpeteyat 64′minutes
- 12AndrianantenainaSubstituted forOliveira Souzaat 68′minutes
- 25BadjiSubstituted forYordanovat 90′minutes
- 64YankovSubstituted forMitkovat 90′minutes
- 28KeseruBooked at 6minsSubstituted forTchibotaat 68′minutes
- 32Gonçalves Leal Sá
- 95Oliveira Souza
- Giorgi Kruashvili
Dwell Textual content
Match ends, Tottenham Hotspur 4, Ludogorets Razgrad 0.
Second Half ends, Tottenham Hotspur 4, Ludogorets Razgrad 0.
Ben Davies (Tottenham Hotspur) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Dimitar Mitkov (Ludogorets Razgrad).
Pierre-Emile Højbjerg (Tottenham Hotspur) is proven the yellow card for a nasty foul.
Foul by Pierre-Emile Højbjerg (Tottenham Hotspur).
Ivan Yordanov (Ludogorets Razgrad) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Substitution, Ludogorets Razgrad. Dimitar Mitkov replaces Dominik Yankov.
Substitution, Ludogorets Razgrad. Ivan Yordanov replaces Stéphane Badji.
Try missed. Harvey White (Tottenham Hotspur) left footed shot from exterior the field is shut, however misses to the left. Assisted by Dane Scarlett.
Try saved. Dane Scarlett (Tottenham Hotspur) proper footed shot from the centre of the field is saved within the backside left nook. Assisted by Harry Winks with a by way of ball.
Nook, Ludogorets Razgrad. Conceded by Davinson Sánchez.
Substitution, Tottenham Hotspur. Dane Scarlett replaces Lucas Moura.
Substitution, Tottenham Hotspur. Harvey White replaces Dele Alli.
Substitution, Tottenham Hotspur. Alfie Whiteman replaces Joe Hart.
Foul by Jack Clarke (Tottenham Hotspur).
Anton Nedyalkov (Ludogorets Razgrad) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Try missed. Harry Winks (Tottenham Hotspur) proper footed shot from exterior the field is simply too excessive. Assisted by Jack Clarke.
Foul by Carlos Vinicius (Tottenham Hotspur).
Cauly (Ludogorets Razgrad) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
- Watch 13 FA Cup second-round video games on BBC iPlayer, the BBC Sport web site and app this weekend. Discover out extra right here.